(541) 686-2818
Toll Free: (866) 273-7047

You are here: Home > About Us > History

History

In 1883 Robert Day, a cabinet and coffin maker who had been in business in Eugene since 1870, entered in to a partnership with Robert Henderson, a professional undertaker, and Day and Henderson opened its doors on the corner of 7th and Willamette Streets in downtown Eugene as the first funeral home in Lane County. In 1911 they sold the business to W.W. Brandstetter who moved the operation to the corner of 7th and Willamette for a short period of time while a new building was being constructed at 11th and Olive streets. The funeral home has operated out of its current location since 1912. Clarence Simon began working at Branstetter's in 1914 and became a partner in the business in 1929. In 1945 Mr. Simon took on Harold Lounsbury as a partner. Mr. Lounsbury became the sole owner in 1958.

In 1952 Wayne Musgrove began working at the funeral home. He became a partner with Mr. Lounsbury in 1964. In 1973 Mr. Lounsbury died and Wayne Musgrove along with his wife, Kay, became owners of the business. Their oldest son, Mark, began working for them in 1980 and their younger son, Jeff, began working full time at the firm in 1985. Kay Musgrove retired in 1990 and Wayne Musgrove retired in 1991. Mark and Jeff, along with their wives Diane and Sharon, continue to carry on the family tradition of service to our community.

In 1980 the Musgrove family purchased Riverside Chapel in Florence and Murphy Funeral Home in Junction City. The Florence funeral home was sold in 1990. In 2001 the Musgroves entered into an agreement with the Archdiocese of Oregon to manage Mt. Calvary Cemetery in south Eugene. In 2005 the Musgroves purchased several funeral homes and cemeteries in the area from a large multi-national corporation headquartered in Texas, bringing them back into local ownership. In 2012 they purchased Poole-Larsen Funeral Home. In 2015 Musgrove Family Mortuary, which had been located on Olive Street in downtown Eugene for over 100 years, relocated to the beautiful grounds of West Lawn Memorial Park. Musgrove Family Mortuaries and Cemeteries currently operate from seven locations offering the greatest choice of options to the residents of Lane County.